Build your own breakfast box.
One of the things I love most about FarmGate Online (apart from the delicious, local and sustainable produce) is the convenience of having food delivered straight to my doorstep.
It doesn’t matter what your situation is. Whether you work full-time, are a full-time parent, a combination of both or a busy student. We are all incredibly busy. Sometimes it’s just too hard to find the time to source your produce from local and sustainable sources.
FarmGate Online is so simple. You simply select your items, then you can choose to have them delivered to a designated ‘farmgate‘ or for an additional cost, have them delivered straight to your door. How easy is that? Online shopping at its best.
There’s nothing better than coming home after a long day to fresh, seasonal produce on my doorstep. I don’t have to think about what ingredients I need to buy to nourish myself, because it is right in front of me.
You may already incorporate many FarmGate Online items into your lunches and dinners, but have you thought about how you can build your own breakfast box?
Let me show you some simple ways to build your breakfast box. We all know that breakfast is ‘the most important meal of the day.’ So why not start the day with a nourishing, feel-good breakfast from FarmGate Online?
Let’s start with the obvious choice: Fruit.
You can choose fruit as part of a ready-made produce box or you can select your favourite fruits individually.
Currently* you can choose from:
- Apples: Red organic apples, royal gala apples, unwaxed granny smith apples, unwaxed pink lady apples, unwaxed fuji apples,
- Citrus: Valencia oranges organic/regular, mandarins, ruby red grapefruit
- Bananas: organic/regular
- Melon: watermelon, rockmelon, honeydew melon
- Avocado: haas organic/regular
- Pears: corella organic, beurre bosc, william
- Persimmon vanilla, organic
In the ready-made fruit box you would receive an assortment of seasonal fruit which varies week to week. This week it includes:
- Red apples, unwaxed
- Valencia oranges
- Pear – William
- Persimmon vanilla organic
Or you can order any of the mixed boxes to receive fruit items as well.
* Availability of produce will vary week to week depending on seasonality and availability of ingredients.
For those of you with more of a savoury palate, let’s look at vegetables.
As you are all aware, I am a huge advocate for including vegetables into your diet wherever possible. So why not include them in your breakfast routine? I’ll included some recipe ideas below to give you some inspiration in the kitchen.
FarmGate Online offers an enormous range of fresh vegetables. I’ve simply picked out the most common vegetables which you might include in your breakfast box. Feel free to add more in!
Next, let’s focus on grains. These are the carbohydrates which will help give you the energy to get moving in the morning!
Did you know FarmGate Online stocks a wide arrange of pantry staples too? Why not add some of these items to your next order?
How about adding a little extra flavour into your morning routine?
Subtle changes can add a level of interest and variety into your breakfast. Breakfast doesn’t need to be bland or boring.
Have you thought about including some of the following in your order?
- Honey – creamed/regular
- Peanut butter
Let’s not forget about one of my all time favourite ingredients either!
Eggs! Eggs are such a simple and cost effective way to include protein into your diet. Have a read of my previous post about them to remember why they are so good for us!
Is it really a breakfast box if we don’t include beverages too?
Apart from delicious food and an early rising-toddler, there’s one thing that gets me out of bed in the morning… coffee!
Did you know FarmGate Online stocks coffee too?
Not a fan? Not to worry. Did you know they also stock an array of Summer Snow fruit juices as well? Missed my post on fruit juice? Have a read here.
Prefer to make your own juice? Have you tried purchasing FarmGate Online apples which are specifically for juicing? Add your favourite ingredients in here too: carrot, ginger, kale, spinach, cucumber etc.
So I’ve provided a huge list of ingredients for you to add to your next order, but how do you turn these into a delicious dish? I’m about to show you. Keep reading…
- Looking to impress Mum this weekend? Why not try these pancake recipes? They include eggs, oats and fruit too! Nourishing and delicious.
- Have you tried turmeric fried eggs before? Trust me, you’ll want too! Serve with avocado, wilted spinach and wholegrain bread and you have a meal packed full of healthy fats, micronutrients and energy to get your day off to a great start.
- Confused as to why I included quinoa into your ingredients list? You could easily do a savoury quinoa breakfast bowl, but how about a sweet, cinnamon, quinoa breakfast bowl or quinoa ‘power’ porridge instead? Quinoa is a great gluten-free option as it provides us with all of our essential amino acids we need to function. The savoury breakfast bowl looks time-intensive but you can prepare most of these ingredients in your weekly meal-prep and just throw them together in the morning.
- Looking for an extra caffeine hit? How about this coffee and date porridge recipe?
- This orange and vanilla rice pudding is the perfect dessert which doubles as a breakfast the next day!
- Did you try the egg and potato breakfast scramble I mentioned last week? Perfect comfort food for those cold, Autumn mornings.
- This zucchini bread is great for mornings on the go. A sneaky way to get some extra veggies in! Great with a cuppa mid morning too.
- Overnight oats are one of my all time favourite breakfasts. Super easy to prepare in bulk, cost-effective and nutrient dense. Feel free to substitute you milk of choice, use peanut butter instead of almond butter and add a little honey or dried fruit for some extra sweetness.
Recipe for the week:
Stewed breakfast apples with cinnamon and ginger.
The simple addition of spices to this dish adds an extra depth of flavour. Top with your favourite granola (try this recipe too!) for a warming, comforting way to start your day.
Stewed breakfast apples with cinnamon and ginger
- 2 red apples
- handful berries
- 1 cm fresh ginger grated
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 heaped tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 can coconut milk or milk of choice
- granola to taste
Cut apples into bite sized pieces (peel them if you wish). Place apple in saucepan with berries, cinnamon and honey. Cover the bottom few cm's of the saucepan with coconut milk.
Allow the pan to start simmering on a low heat. As it cooks just watch that there’s always enough liquid and the apples aren’t sticking and burning to the bottom of the pan. If this is happening just add a little more coconut milk or some water.
Peel your ginger and then grate it onto a plate, then add this to the pan. (I grate it on a plate not straight into the pan as most graters are metal and they get very hot when used above heat!)
Allow the apple mix to cook for about twenty minutes, at which point all the coconut milk should be evaporated or absorbed.
Place the apples in a bowl and use the pan to heat up the remaining coconut milk for a minute or two, then pour this over the apples, add your granola and enjoy!
- You can make the apples in big batches, allow them to cool and then store them in an air-tight container in the fridge if you want a speedy breakfast!
- The mixture lasts approximately 5 days in the fridge.
- Note the image used is from Deliciously Ella, as her representation is much prettier than mine!
As always, feel free to comment below with recipe inspiration or head over to the FarmGate Online Facebook Group and show me what you’ve created.